Friday 27 July 2018

Why I don't speak Spanish after forty years living there...!

This is a personal post explaining why after forty years living on and off in Spain I still hardly speak a word of Spanish. It becomes even more bizarre when I tell you that I was brought up in a multilingual (Gaelic and English) household in the West Highlands of Scotland, where English – the second language, is still the only language I can speak.
So what happened to Gaelic - my First Language? Nada - we simply never had a chance to learn it as our father would hit us across the face if we try to speak it. Why did he do this? Why did he stop us speaking our own, official and main language? Because he did all his business in Gaelic and being a sheep farmer, he didn’t want us going down the school and giving away to the other kids his plans to sell say, a sheep - or even a cow! Yes, that’s why he prevented us from speaking our own language!
Now I can only attribute these early, traumatic experiences to my lifelong and complete inability to learn another language (I tried to learn French in high school and later Hindustani in India, with no success).
And I have seriously tried to learn Spanish, signing up and attending at least half a dozen Spanish language courses and doing numerous online tutorials, over the last four decades - even had a Spanish girlfriend who didn’t have a word of English, so I hoped that not having a common language would force me to learn Spanish – except instead it led to a near perfect relationship, while every so often, she’d rear up and start slapping me vigorously about the face, as Latin ladies do! Of course, I’d no idea why except I knew it was nothing I’d said!
So it’s not laziness, arrogance or insularity that prevents me learning Spanish – but seem sourced in these nonsensically absurd traumas from my early youth…
By the way, this will all be in an autobiography I’m bringing out later this year.

GOOGLE TRANSLATION…
Esta es una publicación personal que explica por qué, después de cuarenta años de vida, la mayoría en España, apenas hablo una palabra de español. Se vuelve aún más extraño cuando te cuento que crecí en un hogar multilingüe (gaélico e inglés) en las Tierras Altas del Oeste de Escocia, donde el inglés, el segundo idioma, sigue siendo el único idioma que puedo hablar.
Entonces, ¿qué pasó con el gaélico, mi primer idioma? Nada, simplemente nunca tuvimos la oportunidad de aprenderlo porque nuestro padre nos golpeó en la cara si intentamos hablarlo. ¿Por qué hizo esto? ¿Por qué nos impidió hablar nuestro propio idioma oficial? Debido a que hizo todos sus negocios en gaélico y siendo un granjero de ovejas, no quería que bajáramos a la escuela y les diera a los otros niños sus planes de vender, por ejemplo, una oveja o incluso una vaca. Sí, es por eso que se nos impidió hablar nuestro propio idioma.
Ahora solo puedo atribuir estas experiencias tempranas y traumáticas a mi total incapacidad para aprender otro idioma (intenté aprender francés en la escuela secundaria y más tarde en hindi en India, sin éxito).
Y traté seriamente de aprender español, me inscribí y asistí al menos a media docena de cursos de español e hice numerosos tutoriales en línea durante las últimas cuatro décadas, incluso tuve una novia española que no hablaba nada de inglés, así que lo esperaba como nosotros progresó, y como yo no tenía un lenguaje común, me obligaría a aprender español, excepto que, en cambio, me llevó a una relación casi perfecta, mientras que de vez en cuando, ella se levantaba y comenzaba a abofetearme vigorosamente en el cara, como lo hacen las damas latinas! Por supuesto, no tenía idea de por qué, excepto que sabía que no era nada de lo que había dicho.
Por lo tanto, no es la pereza, la arrogancia o la insularidad lo que me impide aprender español, sino que parecen surgir de estos antiguos y absurdos traumas de mi temprana juventud ...
Por cierto, todo esto estará en una autobiografía que se lanzará más adelante este año ...


No comments:

Post a Comment